Thursday, October 24, 2013

I've Learned To Manage Time!! Coincidence???

It’s blog time again!!! Honestly, I stress so much over these because they’re technically homework assignments, but when I do them, I realize how useful they are! I have to go through everything that’s happened throughout the week and I retain so much more information. I also realize more how blessed I am to be able to do this program. I can definitely say that this is where I am meant to be right now. That being said, on to stuff that’s happened! Friday morning, I had breakfast with my mentor Adam Martin before TGIF as our one-on-one.  We talked for a while then headed back to the island to meet everyone else for the activity. We went to Big Cedar and got to play archery tag, where I proceeded to dominate. Along with the rest of my team, of course. There was a tournament, which my team won, and it was so much fun.  Don’t exactly remember this weekend, but I’m sure it was really fun… On to Monday and worldview studies! This week was about Leninism/Marxism or Communism. This worldview holds the belief that everyone is equal in power, status, and responsibility to help out the whole group. This leads to lack of incentive to work hard and does nothing to stimulate creativity. So the system doesn’t work, basically. Not to mention the fact that it denies the existence of God. This week the staff has been talking to us about managing ourselves, our money, and our time! You’ll see the coincidence if you scroll down to the previous post and read it… I highly recommend doing so. In managing ourselves, which Brian Wang taught, there was so much information discussed. The main and longest point was the “killer P’s”. These included wanting pity for having so much to do, pats on the back, people pleasing, and pride. Adam Martin led the class in managing money on Wednesday. This was a much shorter recap of high school economics, basically. He talked about credit, how to use it safely and wisely, banking, debt, and how to manage the money you have in a budget. The safest thing to do is to live below your means, at the most spending 80% of your monthly income on yourself and necessities. The other 20% should be split between tithing and saving. Thursday, we heard about managing time from Adam Donyes. He told us how much time we waste on things like social media, television, and….. video games. Yup. We get angry at people who waste our time, yet on things like these we waste literal years! We have tons of time in between everything else on our schedule that we waste over and over again. Time we could spend reading a valuable book, i.e. the bible, or listening to a good commentary. We also waste time watching pointless shows, movies, and endless commercials. Literally, years;  yet we claim not to have enough time to have quiet time, get homework done, or get things done. We make time for things that are important to us. This is a pretty easy way to see where your priorities lie without going on a soul searching walk along the beach, skipping stones every few minutes. Valuable life lessons are the daily norm here at Link Year. And that concludes my time here with you guys, until next week, I’m learning and praying! Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment